Posts for tag: preventive care
Are you wondering why you should visit your dentist twice a year for cleanings?
We know that you lead a busy life, so it can be difficult to fit everything in; however, nothing is more important than ensuring good oral health. Luckily, there are so many simple measures you can follow day to day to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Are you wondering why these routine dental checkups are so important and whether you really have to visit our Columbus, GA, dentists Dr. Phillip Tully III and Dr. W. Newton Sharp every six months?
Routine Dental Checkups
Even if you’ve never had any issues before you should still carve out time in your schedule to see your dentist. These checkups should happen twice a year and they offer a host of benefits for your smile. Here’s what routine checkups do for your oral health:
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup to prevent decay and gum disease
- Detect dental issues early on
- Screen for gum disease and oral cancer
- Freshen breath and remove surface stains from teeth
- Prevent the need for more invasive dental treatments, which can save time and money
Everyone over the age of 3 should be coming in for checkups and cleanings. It is the best way to preserve your oral health and to help you maintain a beautiful smile.
Brush and Floss Daily
Along with visiting your dentist in Columbus, GA, it’s also imperative that you are doing what you can to keep your teeth and gums healthy. This means brushing your teeth twice a day (once in the morning and again at night before bed) and also flossing daily. Here are some helpful tips to follow to make your at-home routine stellar:
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months, or when the bristles begin to fray
- You should also replace your toothbrush head immediately after an illness
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes each time
- Ideally try to floss your teeth before you brush, which can dislodge plaque and food from between teeth to make brushing more effective
Maintain a Healthy Diet
Just as what you eat provides your bodies with the vitamins and nutrients it needs to stay healthy, it also offers your smile the same benefits to keep teeth, gums, and bones healthy. To maintain good oral health here’s what you should do:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Avoid sugar and starches, which can increase plaque and decay
- Stay away from sodas and sports drinks, which can erode enamel
- Enjoy crunchy foods like apples, which can also remove plaque
- Make sure you are drinking enough water everyday
Is it time to schedule a dental checkup for you or a member of your family? Schedule cleanings for everyone by calling our dental office in Columbus, GA, today. We would be happy to work with your schedule to find times that work best for you!