Posts for tag: tmj
Having a family dentist that you and your family are comfortable with is essential. Your Columbus, GA, family dentist, Dr. Phillip Tully and Dr. W. Newton Sharp are here to help. Your family can grow with a dentist they know and who has their medical history. Would you like to know more about the procedures he has to offer?
Services your Family Dentist Provides
- Teeth Whitening: Take home trays are made from a mold of your teeth. You get the benefit of a dentist supervised whitening treatment while being able to improve your smile from the comfort of your home.
- TMJ: Temporomandibular joint syndrome is a disorder accompanied by consistent pain in the area near your ear, jaw or muscles on the side of your face. You may suffer from a clicking or popping sound and/or restricted jaw movement. Individuals suffering from TMJ are subject to various issues, such as: inflammation, sore muscles, strained tendons, and disk issues.
Maintaining a healthy oral regiment is vital. Here is what you need to do:
- Visit your dentist in Columbus, GA, for a biannual dental.
- Opt for fruits and vegetables to avoid.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two full minutes
- Floss your teeth before bed
For more information on what your family dentist can provide you with, you should contact your Columbus, GA, family dentists, Dr. Phillip Tully and Dr. W. Newton Sharp, today!
Jaw pain can have a fast effect on your normal daily routine by impairing your ability to eat, drink, or speak normally. However, your dentist can help you get to the bottom of your jaw pain, understand its treatments, and find the best way to manage your pain for good. Find out more about jaw pain with Dr. Phillip Tully III in Columbus, GA.
What causes jaw pain?
Your jaw is made up of several bones which come together to form joints on either side of your jaw. Called the temporomandibular joints, they control the opening, closing, and side-to-side movements of your mouth. If one or both of these joints become inflamed, irritated, or damaged, it produces the symptoms of temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, disorder. This disorder is often the underlying cause of jaw pain. Though most cases of TMJ disorder are temporary and related to environmental factors, it can become serious and affect patients for long periods of time.
Do I have TMJ disorder?
TMJ disorder produces distinctive symptoms aside from general pain and discomfort. Some of the common signs you may have TMJ disorder include:
- jaw pain and discomfort
- a clicking noise when opening or closing the mouth or while eating
- pain in one or both sides of the jaw
- aching facial pain
- difficulty chewing or speaking
- Difficulty in opening or closing the mouth.
TMJ Disorder Treatments in Columbus, GA
Treating TMJ disorder depends on the severity of the symptoms, the level of damage to the joint, and the patient themselves. Doctors can treat many mild TMJ disorder cases with simple treatments like over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers or muscle relaxants. Physical therapy, counseling to lower stress levels, and oral appliances which realign the jaw may also help those suffering from TMJ disorder. In severe cases, surgery to correct the issues affecting the joint itself. Consult with your dentist to determine the best treatment plan for you and your condition.
For more information on jaw pain or TMJ disorder, please contact Dr. Phillip Tully III in Columbus, GA. Call (706) 323-6491 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
If you are experiencing periodic jaw pain, the cause might be TMJ disorder. TMJ is short for temporomandibular joint. TMJ disorder occurs when these joints become irritated, which causes pain and discomfort in the jaw area. Fortunately, there are treatments that can alleviate the pain or for long-lasting relief. For treatment of TMJ disorder in Columbus, GA, Dr. Phillip Tully can help. He treats TMJ and provides a variety of family dentistry services, as well.
What is TMJ Disorder?
TMJ disorder occurs when the temporomandibular joints are irritated. These are the joints that connect the jawbone to the skull on each side of the head. Joint irritation can affect one or both joints in TMJ patients. Additionally, patients with TMJ disorder often experience a locked jaw sensation in which they cannot fully open their mouth. TMJ disorder can develop after sustaining an injury to the jaw or following the onset of arthritis. Other causes include stress, genetics and constantly grinding the teeth or clenching the jaw.
Symptoms of TMJ
There are several symptoms associated with TMJ disorder. In addition to the jaw area, pain or discomfort can be felt in the eyes, ears, mouth and neck. Headaches can also occur in conjunction with TMJ. Some specific symptoms that can occur with TMJ include:
- Headaches or pain in the temple
- A shooting pain up the back of the head
- Ear aches or ear pain not due to an infection
- A ringing or buzzing sensation in the ears
- Jaw joints that click, pop or grind together
- Frequent grinding or clenching of the teeth
- Stiffness in the neck
- Shoulder aches
- Pain behind the eyes
- A locked jaw
- Inability to open the mouth all the way
Treatment of TMJ
In Columbus, TMJ disorder can be treated by an experienced dentist. Once the dentist confirms a TMJ diagnosis, they will discuss treatment options. The dentist can evaluate your condition and determine which treatments are most appropriate. Medications or heat and ice therapy are often recommended to alleviate the pain and discomfort that occur during a TMJ flare-up. To correct TMJ problems and prevent future flare-ups, the dentist can fit you with a Gelb appliance to improve jaw alignment.
There are a variety of factors that can cause TMJ disorder. No matter what the cause, the pain and discomfort of TMJ can be unbearable for those who suffer with it. Fortunately, treatments such as the Gelb appliance can provide long-lasting relief from TMJ related pain and discomfort by repositioning the jaw joints. For treatment of TMJ in Columbus, GA, contact the office of Dr. Tully by calling (706) 323-6491.